Monday, May 6, 2013

Blog Withdrawal Symptoms

Is anyone interested in the day after the trip???

     I am in Re-entry Limbo, which is to say that everything looks incredibly familiar and I know just what to do - even how to drive my car - and yet it feels quite unreal and I keep waiting for some signal that I have to get my bike clothes on, pack some snacks, fill my water bottles and start following the cue sheet on my bicycle. Ricardo the Bike is still somewhere in the universe packed up and either waiting to come back to Boulder or en route or about to arrive and be put together again.
     It's very odd. It's not good or bad - I am perfectly calm and happy. It's just not quite real to me yet.
     I was met at the airport by my daughter-in-law. She and my son spent a couple of days visiting me via New Orleans when I was in Mississippi. We had a great beachfront dinner in Biloxi and they waved me off on my bicycle the next morning.
      Yesterday, we left the airport and drove along familiar roads that didn't quite seem real. On the way back, we stopped for dinner at an excellent Mexican restaurant, Zolo's, for a margarita since I'd crossed several state lines in the plane, and for a delicious Cinco de Mayo dinner
     When I got back to the apartment house for Seniors where I live, they'd put up a big poster of a woman on a bicycle and added my face to it - which looked great - and a dozen of my friends greeted me and I hugged them. That was a nice welcome to have
     I opened the door to my apartment and nothing had changed. My dog is stilslat my cousin's for a couple of days till I go over to dogsit tomorrow while my cousins go to Indiana for their daughter's graduation from Earlham.
      I unpacked, sorted some things out and went to bed without setting the alarm. Wow. Or packing my bag on the absent bike. Or putting out my biking clothes. Very odd.
      Of course I woke up early because I am now two hours behind Florida, and skipped the whole breakfast thing by going out to eat at a nearby restaurant (no free breakfast in my lobby). Today it didn't rain but it's about 60 and warm and the sun keeps coming out bravely so I went for a long walk along Boulder Creek which is rushing along in its springtime frenzy.
     Not quite here, not quite there, not quite sure where I am. But I am not bicycling. Sigh. It is over.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Evelyn, There is such a big hole in my day without the blogs to read. You did such a wonderful job and should be so very proud of your accomplishment. It is really incredible and awesome!!!
    Thank you again for all the wonderful blogs you wrote. It was so much fun to follow you on your journey. I wish you all the very best!
    Emily L.
    NH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete