Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Sag Van Day

Some Days I Just Don't Ride

       There are riders among the group who are determined to do EFI - every fricking inch - but I knew I would not be among them. They become deeply frustrated when they can't finish rides and plan to do extra riding to make up missed miles. I am merely grateful to be able to do miles in any quantity - and today was a zero, as it was for four of us in the sag wagon.
     It was a typical New Mexico spring morning - very like Colorado. Cool, cloudy and a wind came up that blew in everyone's face so hard that some riders called the sag wagon after 14 miles or so. The rest battled on up winding hills like Colorado mountains and down and up. About half of them finished the complete 47 miles, and basked in their achievement as they should, since three of them were 70. The rest were younger and the New Zealanders are astonishingly accomplished riders. Must be all that stuff they eat on bread, Vegemite, which isn't Marmite though it tastes as weird.
     .Anyway, we arrived at the Comfort Inn in Silver City to find they were resurfacing the parking lot so we had to go round the block to the back parking lot and come in the back way. Jo and I agreed we were starving since we'd been sitting in the van doing nothing. So we went next door to the nearest restaurant, Grandma's Café which serves breakfast till two. We both had scrambled eggs, hash browns and crispy bacon - it was delicious.
     Back at the hotel, once we'd unloaded our stuff, I biked down to the Gila Bicycle shop about 10 minutes away, though I did spend five minutes huffing up a hill in the wrong direction. It's a lovely low-key bike place and I found a perfect bike-bag to replace mine which had broken one of the straps that hold it on and was having zipper trouble too. This one is lighter, easier to manage, and softer so you can stuff more in, and can even hold an extra water bottle. Inspired by the purchase, I then cleaned my bike and squirted the chain and wiped it off, and it should be ready for Friday when we are scheduled to climb to 8858 feet and go over Emory Pass Vista. This is not what I signed up for, I have to admit. In Colorado, I avoid doing mountain passes and impossible peaks because I am breathless at the mere thought not to mention gasping when I try steep hills or high altitude. Sigh. I'm waiting for the long not hilly stretches along the seashore with ocean views and a swim. We've been asked not to use 'flat' to describe any part of this trip because nothing is 'flat' and it's the 'f' word we shouldn't say. Less hilly, undulating, up and down, rolling landscape, sloping hills, gentle climbs.
      Tomorrow's big adventure is that I am going to get my hair cut at Belleza Spa which is just round the corner from the bike shop - for $25. The bangs are drooping to my nose and my helmet is fitting snugger so I know that it's time and it will definitely be a new experience. Maybe I'll have a pedicure too since it's a full-service spa.

   
       Sammy Note: My lovely beagle at home tore a ligament and my cousins Myriam and Scott are looking after him beautifully. On Monday he went to Orthopets to see if he was a suitable candidate for a leg brace. The vet just sent me a long and daunting outline of what they can do to fit him with a brace so he can run around again. Sigh. Who knew dogs could do things like this and get leg braces?  
   The photo is of Sammy in February when he tore a nail and had to have his foot wrapped in plastic bags to keep dry so he could run around in the deep snow and eat it. He's my adventure dog whose nose leads him onwards. Lap-sitting??? Nah. Let's go out and play.

1 comment:

  1. What an adventure! I'm following every mile from my computer chair and loving every minute. I know what it is to be on the road day after day and you really have to see each morning what your body is telling you about the miles that lie ahead, just as you are doing. Listening to that inner voice instead of competing with everyone around you makes the longer journey possible and there's more to the road than the miles. Post more photos here, Evelyn--it's easy with blogspot and your fans want to see them! xo

    ReplyDelete