Friday, March 1, 2013

March 1st - last session training at the Y

Working the Machines at the Y
Today was my last session with Gerry Hernandez, my trainer at the Y, who is trying to reduce my legs to wet noodles. Today I ran up 19 stairs five times - and down but the down didn't count. And I used the stretchy bands to hold while I did innumerable squats - well, 15 or so twice. As you can see Gerry is yelling at me to improve my position - and I'm struggling.
Actually we're both laughing while the guy taking the photo tells us it looks good. This was before the stairs and after my warmup riding a stationary bike for half an hour and stepping up and down 20 times on a wooden platform. It's nice to find I can still do them.
      He always shows me how to do the exercises correctly and I watch. So when I do them, I imagine I look as good as he does. However, he is lithe and slim and has absolutely no hips. Sigh. It's like in dance classes with mirrors when I can imagine I look as good as the teacher, but in the mirror - ahhh never quite the same.
     However, I now don't feel so intimidated by the machines or people who seem to know what they're doing while they exercise because I know how to face those imposing weights and bars and pulleys and use them.
      Last week, I read "Younger Next Year: A guide to living like 50 until you're 80 and Beyond" by Chris Crowley & Henry S. Lodge. They give sensible advice on how to stay active and healthy as you get older. Exercise is a big part of this and he advocates doing active exercise at least four days a week for the rest of your life. So I am doing the Right Thing. That will be my mantra as I pedal on each day. Next week I'm off!

2 comments:

  1. Didn't realize you're going so soon! I hope it's a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee - wishing you strength and grace!

    ReplyDelete