Thursday, March 14, 2013

March 14, in Wickenburg AZ

I can't believe it's only a week since we started our great trip  but last Thursday I was in San Diego anxiously waiting for the 1p.m. meeting with everyone followed by the Banquet where my daughter and other friends and relatives of the 30 riders came to share support and encouragement.
I think I've now biked about 200 miles in rain, cold, and hothothot sun - and I have crossed the stateline between California and Arizona where I am now in Wickenburg.
     It is a delightfully simple life. I get up at the appointed hour depending if breakfast is served in thehotel, or out by the van in the parking lot where Leader Linda whips up oatmeal and scrambled eggs with all the fixin's and juice and we eat. We load our luggage into the trailer - a challenge since there's a lot of us and Some People brought large hefty bags which are extremely Heavy. However, in the evening we always unload quickly because at the bottom is the icechest with the wine, beer and soft drinks for us all into which we pour fresh ice every evening.
As we leave, the Sag Driver checks us off on her list. Then we ride following the cue sheets fixed to our handlebars in plastic holders so we know where to turn right and left and how many miles to the lunch café and where the hotel is at the end. We are usually strung out in two and threes and fours and ones on the road. The Subaru sag wagon drives 20 miles after we've all left and waits to check we all ride by and provides water and snacks if we need them. When we've passed, she drives another 20 miles to wait again. She is our oasis.
    If she passes us we can give her a thumbs up to say we're OK. Or tap our helmet constantly on top to say we need her to stop and help us or pick us up or give us more water. Then we bike on to the hotel, the pool, the hot tub, the shower, and dinner on white plastic chairs in the parking lot. After dinner Leader Carol gives out the cue sheets for the next day's ride, which we discuss in case there are things to look out for - like road construction or tricky turns. And then to bed. No wild parties, no heavy drinking, no hi-jinks. Writing this blog - which I have been very remiss in doing - is delaying my bedtime. ALSO this is the first hotel I managed to get online easily. Thank you Quality Inn.
    I hope I will be able to get to this more often but I'm not sure about that. Check out the Facebook pages where I put photos and short notes - that I know I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment