Tuesday, April 2, 2013

1000 miles and more covered today!


Tuesday, April 2nd 2013.

Social life, I hit 1000 miles and a ride to Camp Wood TX

 

Last night, Monday, we were all invited to an Icecream Social by the Bubba’s Biking Crosscountry group, who we’ve passed and been passed by along the roads to Florida, where they are going. They have men and couples in their group, so they were delighted to have women coming to visit. Bubba is an Extremely Large Man who used to be a police officer in St. Louis, and has retired and created cross-country biking trips where they have lots of Sag support, sleep in tents which are erected and taken down for them, and even have their laundry done. BUT they do sleep in tents and I have to say I love having a bed every night and a hot shower in the room. He also does a week-long trip to Florida which is apparently great fun and there is an exuberance about him which is infectious. Also one man is riding a recumbent three-wheeler trike on the road, which I don’t think we’d allow.

Anyway, after dinner Bubba’s two big trucks and a van came over to get us and drove us to the other side of Fort Clark, which is an enormous old Army training base dating back to the 1850s, according to the lists of officers on a big memorial. We were in the motel and they were in the campsite with picnic tables under a wooden shelter. They had loads of icecream in cups with toppings and sauces and whipping cream, and then we all sat and talked to each other. I talked to a couple from Wisconsin who are riding a tandem and who have passed me several times and we call hello along the way. They are always faster than I am and the husband said that this is the first trip like this they’ve tried together.

Today, Tuesday, April 2nd we left Fort Clark TX and rode along country highways between ranches and open lands and a flock of white and black goats, and a few cattle, and not much else, to vary the ups and downs of the highway.  I did 30 miles and then felt the wind and the climbs were enough – and I had achieved today’s goal: I have now ridden 1,022 miles – over a thousand miles on my way to Florida. YAY!

The Sag drove us here to this tiny one-street town of Camp Wood TX. The only newspaper available is called “The Leakey Star” because the next big town is Leakey. I don’t know why it’s called Leakey but maybe I will find out. The big front page news is that that there was a discussion about installing air-conditioning in the school gym, and this weekend is the Wild Hog Festival and Craft Fair in Sabinal Park, and there’s a photo of  one man with a towel chasing a somewhat small hog around an arena while another man seems to be running after him. I don’t think it’s quite the same as bullfighting but who knows?

Tomorrow I am going to take a rest day – mainly because it is a climb of the West Texas Hills which is not what I enjoy doing – and I’ll ride the next day when it’s a mixture of climbs and descents. This hotel was right next to a Laundromat so I did all my washing to keep my bike clothes clean. There’s a light drizzle which so rare in Colorado from low gray clouds over the sky that it feels refreshing and cooling. They’ve been threatening thunder storms but so far, it’s all talk. I wandered down the One Street which has a hay store, a garage, a tire store, a mohair store (in Texas?), a convenience store which we all visited, and a restaurant where I had an excellent quesadilla and which we had to get to for lunch before 2 p.m. when they closed. There is a post office, and a hardware store, and a real estate office (closed) and a local grocery store which already had pots of summer plants on display at the front.

We are half-way to Florida – we arrive May 2nd. I can’t believe it’s going by so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment