Thursday, April 11, 2013

Springtime in Texas

A lovely ride in parks and along quiet highways

This morning it was 45 degrees, cold and rainy and some riders opted for the van or to 'bump' in the sag wagon and skip the first 20 miles or so until it warmed up. However, I had my daughter's totally waterproof bike raincoat, which had been tested by the perpetual rains of Portland, Oregon, so I knew it would be fine, and I set out with Jo to see how far we could go.

      She decided at 20 miles that it was enough for her, but then Flo appeared after fixing a flat tire and so we rode together for the rest of the day. After the rain stopped, the clouds began to float away, and the sun came out. We were riding along a two-lane highway with a shoulder most of the way, and not a lot of traffic though there was the occasional tree-laden logging truck which was definitely took over most of the road. We stopped for a  quick sandwich from the gas station and some cut up fruit for lunch in New Waverly at the second Sag stop, 40 miles, and agreed to go on to 60.

     Now the road wound through the beautiful Sam Houston State Park and the National Park it adjoined, which stretches for miles in this part of Texas. Tall trees lined the road, while bright yellow wildflowers filled the grass on either side of the road with dazzling color. The sun threw dappled shadows across the highway, as we rode up gently sloping hills and sped as fast as we could down the  hills to the next up which I'd found I could do with the momentum from the down. I have to admit I yelled "WHeeeeee!" at some of the really exciting downhills because it felt like being a 10 year old again riding my first bicycle down the steep road where I used to live in London, and then again riding down the steep hill in Englewood NJ where we lived when my son and I sped down the long road into town one Sunday morning when there was no traffic.  Wheeee indeed!

    The sun was shining, it was about 70 degrees, I'd dumped my raingear and jacket in the sag wagon and it had become a perfect spring day for bicycling and enjoying the greenery. Flo lives in Houston TX and had been camping in the park with her sons, and so she knew what a beautiful place it is and appreciated how lovely it looked in the spring, before the arrival of the blistering humidity of summer heat.

    When I got to the third Sag at 60, Julie said "There's only 10 more miles - you should finish it." So I rode the last 10 miles into Cleveland, along the road, and turned right into the Super 8 hotel, our home for the night, in time to use the pool - very cold - and the hot tub - blissfully hot - and have a delicious picnic dinner in the parking lot by the trailer as the sun set.

    Some of the riders are tired of hotel breakfasts and plan to go to McDonalds for breakfast tomorrow. From my few experiences of Egg McMuffins and other breakfast experiences there, I shall stick with the hotel - especially since it's free.

    Today was a wonderful bicycling day and tomorrow, our last day in Texas, we'll be riding 64 miles to Silsbee,  along much the same kinds of roads, so here's hoping it's just as much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment