Monday, April 1, 2013

Marathon 111 mile day of riding....

The Century Ride for the Strong of Legs

March 31st, 2013 . Today was the 111 miles day to Del Rio, and I decided to ride and see how far I could get. We started out in the dark in a line with our front lights on and our rear lights flashing and rode down the cool morning highway in the dark. Few cars so it was fine. It slowly began to get light and then in front of us, because we were riding east, the morning sun rose slowly and magnificently from the horizon and melted into the clouds above. It was stunning to see the light suddenly appear over the long bare stretches of scrub land in front of us, and to see the world transformed by light. Some of the group had gone to the Easter Day service in a church, and were to join us at lunch, but the rest of us were just awed by the beauty of the rising sun so peacefully and calmly.

I pedaled along, and finally stopped to turn off my two lights and to aim for 20 miles up and down hills on chipseal roads to the first Sag stop. The Speedies were soon far ahead, but I pedaled with Jo most of the time on her first 20 mile ride since she hurt her shoulder. There were several steep hills and long descents and the hills, for me, are always a challenge for breathing and pedaling. At the Sag stop, Jo wanted to stay, but I thought I wanted to go on, so I did, and we reached the second Sag stop at 40, which was tempting. But Carla and Judy Rozelle, who seems very dour right now, and someone else wanted to go on to the lunch stop at 60 miles. Carla and I ended up riding together, and she went up some steep hills, and I walked up a couple, and we pedaled on and finally reached the lunch stop just as they were going to send out the van for us because we were so late.

It was really too late for us to do the whole thing because it had taken us six hours to do 60 miles so it would take us 10 hours to do 100 miles – if not longer. I was happy to stop. All the church people had ridden from the lunch stop to the end, and the 100 milers were all out there too, so I had a tuna salad sandwich and some coleslaw and bought an icecream in the general store where we were picnicking outside and relaxed. Carol put my bike on the front of the van, and I climbed in and sat at the back next to Judy Rozelle who had been picked up by a Bubba’s group truck because the hills were too much for her, and Moira who had slept all day in the van, and Jo, and Barbara who had not ridden at all, and Julie, who had bike problems, and Helen who had a stomach upset so hadn’t ridden, and Carol and Linda.

We arrived at the Lakeview Inn about 3 p.m and passed the other riders on the way. The hills were just as challenging on the second half as we’d had them on the first half so I’m sure I’d never have finished. However several people did complete the 100 miles including Flo, Cher and Pat C who arrived around 6 p.m. exhausted and exhilarated that they’d done their first century. Others had done centuries before so were more blasé. And Donna who finished said it was her first and last and she never wanted to do it again.

When I arrived, I helped unload all the luggage from the van, so it was out. I was exhausted so I had a bath and a shower and a nap. And felt better.

A storm was brewing – big clouds, wind, and lightning – so Carol and Pat in the sag went out to get the last riders who demanded to finish. We had a catered cook-out dinner in the diningroom of the Lakeview Inn where we’re staying. It’s an old-style B&B and the food was brisket, turkey, potatoes, a small piece of corn on the cob, and slaw, and peach cobbler for dessert. Everyone was exhilarated and tired by the long ride and hard day – and others said this was a much more difficult century than others they had done.  Lots of laughter and conversation and I sat with Jo and Leilani and Pat C who had been determined to finish, and did. She is such a character. Tomorrow is a 44 mile day – should be fine. We can have breakfast at 7:30 and a map meeting after that. Jo and I went to the store opposite and found that they start serving coffee at 6 a.m. so I may go over there if I wake up early.

Julie pointed out that there are several 90 miles days coming up which could be centuries if we ride around the parking lot to do the extra miles – and maybe if it’s not so hilly, I could do that. As Ann pointed out to me, I did 64 miles one day and 56 the next so I can do 100 in sections. It’s just the challenge of the thing!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment