Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A day in the van in Texas


Wednesday April 3rd, 2013. In Vanderpool Texas

 

I’m sitting in front of a glowing fire of logs and kindling (which I collected earlier) burning red and warm in an imposing stone fireplace in a beautiful old western lodge with two horned deer heads up on the wall looking down at me, and big old sofas around the fireplace.  This is Vanderpool TX also a blip on the map in Foxfire Cabins, where they have a dozen or so lovely individual cabins with big old fashioned rooms and heavy wooden furniture. Nancy and I are in the Main House with the two leaders, Linda and Carol, and we each have a bedroom and I have the bathroom but she’s sharing the other one.

Today was my Day Off day. After yesterday, when I rode 30 miles but did not have the energy to do the last 18 miles, I thought I would ride in the van for today’s big hills of West Texas and the long downhill on a day which was cold and rainy and windy. The van was almost full because several of us had the same feeling but the Super Speedy Cyclists set out in fine fettle – and they all finished in good time. It was a lot more restful getting up in the morning for breakfast at 8:30 a.m. without the pressure to go out and bicycle Big Hills, which these were. There were lovely views over the rolling hills and cliffs unlike the stark bareness of Colorado mountains, and the trees were turning a bright fresh new spring green. The sky was gray and it was about 50 degrees – not hot at all. I could never have climbed those hills, though Jo, Pat and Donna – all in their 70s! – did the whole thing. Carla was more my level – she stopped at the van after 21 miles cold shivering and hardly able to move her hands in her gloves or feel her feet. Barbara and I made her take her gloves off and the inner gloves were sweaty and cold and couldn’t dry out so we held her hands to warm her up when she got in the van. She slowly warmed up.

When we got to Laekly, which is pronounce Lay-kely in Texan, we had a lunch stop and I went for a walk up the road and went into one place which said icecream and food. The woman said they’d stopping making sandwiches but recommended Ella…..which had looked like a secondhand store when I walked past. I went in and found a delightful young woman called Bonnie wearing a 19th century style dress and apron who said she’d come from San Antonio three years ago and bought this place a year ago because she needed to get out of the city “and I feel God called me to come here.” She made me a delicious Panini of cheese, egg, tomato and spinach, and a fabulous cappuccino to take out, and I thanked her profusely and paid $10 including tip. By then the others from the van AND the hardly cyclists had discovered the place too so we van people got take out because we had to get back in the van, and the others took their time as their lunch break.

Not much in the town. The Hog Pit was preparing a cookout in a big metal round cooker outside smoking meat for a big motorcycle rally the next day so wasn’t offering any food. There was a hot dog store, an everything food store which had some interesting hats and camping gear for hunters which is what people do around here. I don’t think I could survive in a place as closed as these places feel because everything looks so depressed though there was a small public library in the last place, and I found one bookstore in Marathon.

Judy joined us in the van – she said she’d had enough – but everyone else went on. I think it’s partly the mind set and partly knowing what I can do in climbing. But I shall start tomorrow and sees what happens. I will have nothing else do but ride….

Tonight, sitting in this delightful lodge room, I’m on one sofa writing and Julie is on the other doing her blog, and Nancy is reading.  When I got back I helped unload the luggage and bicycles from the van with some of the others. I checked in with the nice woman in the office, to find my room in the main lodge, which is delightful and so big with a huge bed and windows looking out at the river and the garden. I went for a walk up the road for half an hour, to go past the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum,  which is open March to December, Friday Saturday and Sunday.

Mel was helping Carol start a fire so I collected small kindling pieces of wood to help start the fire, and looked at tomorrow’s rides and decided I’d start out and try it. That will be my challenge. And I actually sat on my bed for an hour resting and read the excellent book by Tony Hurwitz on his travels around Arab countries and the chapters on the insanity of life in Dubai – awash in unbelievable wealth – like the Emirates – and the poverty and hopelessness of Cairo and Egypt and how the Pyramids are slowly falling apart because no-one is looking after them. And how the work is done by immigrants from India, Pakistan and a dozen other poor countries. Interesting.

There is a radio playing or CD so there’s music filling the room with someone singing popular music that I don’t know, but it’s lovely to have some music to listen to. Linda is in the kitchen area with Ann preparing the snacks for 6 p.m. and dinner at 6;15 p.m. We can make coffee in the morning here too. The riding is fun for me when it’s warm and sunny, as in Colorado, and not too hilly. But I am here and there is riding in the cool grayness and there are hills. I shall accept it and go with the flow.

This place is remarkably restful, like my own private country place – and Julie and Nancy joked that this is our family estate and we’ve all come to visit. There’s no wifi – so I don’t need to look at anything. There’s a big TV but no-one is turning it on. I shall be here for this moment and take tomorrow’s ride as it comes. As one of my pairs of bicycling socks said: “GO BIG or GO HOME.”

SO after a fabulous pot roast and vegetables around the fireplace with chocolate and smores as dessert the wifi came on and so three of us are sitting round a table trying to catch up before bedtime at 9 p.m. Tomorrow we have breakfast at 8:30 a.m. and then we have another challenging day with some hills but maybe not so cold..... 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment